YES!! Thankfully the weather took a dramatic turn for the better on Friday. The day started with beautiful sunshine and I went to the allotment to water the seeds that I have planted. I also hoed around the Broad bean shoots that have pushed through the soil and I gave them a good drink of water. There is still no show from the first early potatoes that I have planted, but I have every confidence they will appear and we will be enjoying new potatoes with mint shortly.
At home, later in the afternoon, I mowed both lawns, at the back and front of the house, I edged off the back lawn to make a nice neat job. I am very impressed with the condition of the grass, all my weeding, feeding and taking care of the grass is now showing good results. There are some really nice Spring flowers appearing in our garden and I also photographed a few to brighten up this blog. I spotted and photographed the first ladybirds or ladybugs of the year in the garden.
The day started with a very heavy frost. At 6 am the garden was white, until the sun came up and quickly burned the frost away. Then there was more glorious sunshine and I left for the allotment bright and early. I deposited my grass cuttings in the compost bin and began my usual chore of hoeing and weeding. I then decided to give my soft fruit bushes and strawberry plants a good feed with a liquid fertilizer, I have had good results in the past with this particular brand.
John~~Battling with the elements, pests and diseases in my struggle to keep the garden growing. A constant daily struggle that will be recorded here.
Gardening is such a delightful pastime. I spend time on my allotment almost every day of my life, and the sensation of pure satisfaction never ceases to amaze me. I get so much out of this pleasure, I think the benefits are so huge that the government should legislate and make it more available to everyone. I will list just some of the obvious reasons here. ~~
1) Fresh fruit and vegetables and other produce.
2) Fresh air and an intense feeling of getting close to Nature.
3) Healthy exercise without the necessity of machines that are found inside a gym.
4) The satisfaction obtained by growing plants and watching and caring for them through to maturity.
5) A regular occupation that you can make into a routine, somewhere to go to at a certain time every day.
6) The companionship of like-minded people, with whom you can get ideas and swap tips on your mutual interests.