No gardening for a couple of days as we have had some very bad weather here, a heavy frost and a powerful wind that adds to the chill factor and brings the temperature down, it was -3 today.
I picked up this wonderful tip from the internet, growing tomato plants in eggshells, aparently they need watering very sparingly or there is a danger of overwatering them and killing the seedlings.
I like the idea of sprinkling egg shells around plants to deter slugs, I have heard of this before and I can imagine how the sharp edges of the eggshells would irritate the undersides of the slugs.
AN IDEA THAT I WILL BE DEFINATELY EXPERIMENTING WITH THIS YEAR~~
John~~Battling with the elements, pests and diseases in my struggle to keep the garden growing. A constant daily struggle that will be recorded here.
Gardening is such a delightful pastime. I spend time on my allotment almost every day of my life, and the sensation of pure satisfaction never ceases to amaze me. I get so much out of this pleasure, I think the benefits are so huge that the government should legislate and make it more available to everyone. I will list just some of the obvious reasons here. ~~
1) Fresh fruit and vegetables and other produce.
2) Fresh air and an intense feeling of getting close to Nature.
3) Healthy exercise without the necessity of machines that are found inside a gym.
4) The satisfaction obtained by growing plants and watching and caring for them through to maturity.
5) A regular occupation that you can make into a routine, somewhere to go to at a certain time every day.
6) The companionship of like-minded people, with whom you can get ideas and swap tips on your mutual interests.